Monday 25 September 2017

Aftermath of cooking

We had a family get-together over the weekend after so long. We generally spend less time on food so we opt for home delivery and more on having a gala time together. Although, this time mom had different plans. She wanted to cook for all of us and trust me she is a great cook.

We had a feast.

 Menu for the day:

  • Murungakka sambar
  • Lemon rasam
  • Aviyal
  • Potato
  • Semiya payasam
  • Sweet payar
  • Fruit pachadi
  • Vendakka thayir pachadi
  • Manga oorga
  • Appalam
  • Thamarakazhangu vathal

If you are someone who has not had 'Ela Saapadu’ in ages , you would curse me for merely
mentioning these tasty dishes. Generally we go for pizzas, pastas, naans and sabjis. Though this was one hectic cooking process,it was worth it.

I cannot even match my mom’s cooking. I do not know the ABC’s of cooking ,but I am good with washing dishes. Mom mocks that I have a great job as backup. I love washing vessels. My friends who are bachelors and extremely good with cooking often warn me saying 'Once you know to cook you will never ever find washing vessels as fun'. I use it in my favor and bribe mom with washing vessels.

I got to work soon after everyone was done eating. I cleared the surroundings, set my territory and with music turned on started my chore of the day. Ten minutes into it , not exaggerating, somehow the vessels kept on piling and all I could relate to was the 'Akshaya Pathra’.

Through this 'back aching, hand sogging , mentally getting ready for the next meal' chore I had a refreshing happy memory flash by - Prema Amma.

Her name is Rajeshwari . We fondly call her Prema Amma (Prema, her child). I grew up in a
joint family and she was more than a servant maid to all of us; she was like a second mom to
me, my sister and my cousins.

How she managed to wash vessels day in and out in a household where food was prepared for nearly twelve of us, I wonder.

A big salute to people like her.

This was such a happy realization for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment